The State Emergency Response Commission (SERC) consists of 15 members, six ex officio members, including the Commissioner of Public Safety, the Secretary of Natural Resources, the Secretary of Transportation, the Commissioner of Health, the Secretary of Agriculture, Food and Markets, and the Commissioner of Labor, or their designees; and nine public members, including a representative from each of the following: local government, a local emergency planning committee, a regional planning commission, the fire service, law enforcement, emergency medical service, a hospital, a transportation entity required under Emergency Planning and Community Right-To-Know Act (EPCRA) to report chemicals to the SERC, and another entity required to report extremely hazardous substances under EPCRA. The Director of Emergency Management shall be the secretary of the commission without a vote.
The SERC is charged with carrying out all the requirements of a commission under the Emergency Planning and Community Right-To-Know Act, 42 U.S.C. § § 11000-11050 (1986)(EPCRA).
The SERC is authorized to adopt rules necessary for the implementation of EPCRA and for the reporting of hazardous chemicals or substances, including setting minimum limits on the level of hazardous chemicals to be reported; designates and appoints Local Emergency Planning Committees (LEPC); reviews and comments on the development and implementation of local emergency response plans by LEPCs and provides guidance to those committees in executing their duties.
The SERC also reviews and comments on LEPCs’ response plans; meets with interested parties, which may include representatives of the carrier industry shippers, and state and local agencies, having an interest, responsibility, or expertise concerning hazardous materials; and ensures that a state plan will go into effect when an accident occurs involving the transportation of hazardous materials, among other duties.
- SERC Amended By-Laws - The rules which govern how the SERC functions. Adopted August 15, 2018.
- SERC Proxy Form - to be used by appointed public members of the SERC who are unable to attend a SERC meeting and wish to have someone attend and vote on all matters in their name
- SERC Handbook - to be used by SERC and LEPC members for general guidance on roles and responsibilities
- 05/20/2020 SERC Regular Meeting
- 02/03/2020 LEPC/SERC Liaison Committee Meeting
- 12/10/2019 LEPC/SERC Liaison Committee Meeting
- 11/13/2019 SERC Regular Meeting
- 09/17/2019 LEPC/SERC Liaison Committee Meeting
- 08/21/2019 SERC Regular Meeting
- 05/21/2019 - SERC Regular Meeting
- 02/20/2019 - SERC Regular Meeting
- 01/30/2019 - SERC Regular Meeting
- 08/15/2018 SERC Regular Meeting
- 07/31/2018 LEPC/SERC Liaison Committee Meeting
- 06/27/2018 LEPC/SERC Liaison Committee Meeting
- 06/20/2018 SERC Special Meeting
- 05/16/2018 SERC Regular Meeting
- 02/28/2018 SERC Regular Meeting
- 01/04/2018 SERC Finance Committee Meeting
- 12/28/2017 SERC Finance Committee Meeting
- 11/15/2017 SERC Regular Meeting
- 9/14/17 SERC Special Meeting
- 8/23/17 SERC Regular Meeting
- 5/17/17 SERC Regular Meeting
- 2/15/17 SERC Regular Meeting
- 11/16/16 SERC Regular Meeting