Radio Amateur Civil Emergency Services (RACES) is a volunteer organization of amateur radio operators who are licensed by the Federal Communications Commission (FCC) to provide essential communications for State and local governments in time of emergency. Created in 1952 to serve in civil defense emergencies, RACES provides essential communications and warning links to supplement State and local government operations during emergencies.
As a secondary function, RACES is sponsored by the Federal Emergency Management Agency (FEMA) to provide emergency communications for civil preparedness purposes. RACES members use their primary stations or designated RACES stations to conduct emergency communications on specific frequencies.
The VEM RACES program continues its efforts to establish a comprehensive emergency communications network utilizing the Vermont amateur radio community. The primary mission of the program is to provide health and welfare emergency communications during disasters or significant failures of telecommunication systems. Our enhancements to the VEM-RACES system continue to strengthen our mission and capabilities to provide registered operators and multiple modes of communications to the areas we serve. Currently, we have established 40 fixed RACES stations and have the capability of deploying 15 mobile Command Centers stations throughout the State. These stations include:
- 1 Vermont Emergency Management State EOC (HF/VHF/UHF/Digital)
- 16 Vermont Hospital based EOC Stations (HF/VHF/UHF)
- 11 Vermont Department of Health Offices (HF/VHF/UHF/Digital)
- 1 Vermont Army National Guard Joint Operations Center (HF/VHF/UHF)
- 1 National Weather Service – Burlington (HF/VHF/UHF)
- 1 VEM-RACES Mobile Communications Trailer (HF/VHF/UHF)
- 1 Vermont Agency of Transportation Operations Center (VHF/UHF/HF)
- 10 Vermont Agency of Transportation District Offices (HF/VHF/UHF)
Additional stations are under development including:
- 1 Vermont Agency of Agriculture mobile office (HF/VHF/UHF)
Our communication capabilities are additionally expanding to utilize digital data transfer modes providing HF based email and internet capacity between emergency centers within Vermont and New England.
For more information on RACES, please contact Vermont Emergency Management at 800-347-0488.
Click here to join the Vermont RACES email list.
Field Operation Guides for RACES members