Skip to main content

Flood Recovery Frequently Asked Questions

Frequently Asked Questions about flood recovery

How can I find an emergency shelter?

The Red Cross has statewide shelters, and many towns have also opened local facilities. Call 2-1-1 to find a place to go.

When can I go home after an evacuation?

You are urged to wait until local officials have lifted evacuation orders and roads are passable before returning home.

What do I do when I get home?

A flooded home poses many hazards. First and foremost, do not turn on your circuit breaker or use any power sources in your home until you have your system checked by a licensed electrician.

Is there any financial assistance available?

The state of Vermont is seeking an Individual Assistance Disaster Declaration, which would provide financial assistance for homeowners’ uninsured losses.

Those with damaged homes should call 2-1-1 to report damage. This data will be used to inform a disaster declaration request. You may be contacted for an evaluation, however if you are not that does not mean you would not qualify for aid.

You can start cleaning your home before a declaration, keep very detailed records of expenses and take lots of photos for use in your application.

Help After a Flood Guide

Will there be assistance for towns to repair public infrastructure?

The state of Vermont will be seeking a Public Assistance Disaster Declaration to provide cities and towns with 75% reimbursement for repairs to roads, bridges, and other infrastructure.

Towns should proceed with repairs now, keeping careful records of expenditures. Should there be a declaration, towns would apply for reimbursement for their costs.

Visit for more information.