Jump to navigation
- Install smoke alarms and carbon monoxide alarms on every level of the home.
- Keep 3’/ 36”/ 1 meter between heating equipment and anything that can burn - or in accordance with manufacturer’s instructions.
- Never leave portable space heaters and candles unattended - turn off heaters before going to bed.
- Clean chimneys and vent pipes annually – put ashes in a metal container
- Unvented heaters should have a carbon monoxide alarm in the same room.
- Never use lighter fluid, kerosene, diesel fuel, or gasoline to start a fire.
- Store gasoline and heating fuels in proper containers outside the home.
- Always use the proper grade and type of fuel for heating equipment.
- Plan and practice escape plans several times a year.
- Install heating equipment in accordance with codes and manufacturer’s instructions. It’s best to have a professional install the equipment.