Homeland Security Funding FAQ

Q: How do I dispose of old, broken, outdated, or unused equipment purchased with Homeland Security Grant Program funds?

A: There are several options depending on the state of the equipment. If the equipment is old, broken or unusable, you may dispose of the item in the trash, recycling or other appropriate method. If the item could be used by another department, you may give it to a department for free, trade the equipment for something else or sell the equipment, as long as you do not sell the equipment for market value. In any of the above cases, you must document the status of the equipment on your Property Records List. If you give, trade or sell the equipment, you must also complete transfer of ownership documentation  for your grant file.


Q: When can I apply for grant funding?

A: Requests for Applications typically open the beginning of January and applications are due the end of February. For Current Funding Opportunities, visit the Homeland Security Funding page


Q: What is SAM and why do I have to have to be registered there?

A: The System for Award Management (SAM) has combined several federal procurement systems and the Catalog of Federal Domestic Assistance into one system. The consolidation has been  done in phases. The overarching benefits of SAM include streamlined and integrated processes, elimination of data redundancies, and reduced costs while providing improved capability. 


Q: What is EHP and when do does my agency have to complete an EHP survey?

A: The Environmental Planning and Historic Preservation (EHP) program integrates the protection and enhancement of environmental, historic, and cultural resources into FEMA's mission, programs and activities; ensures that FEMA's activities and programs related to disaster response and recovery, hazard mitigation, and emergency preparedness comply with federal environmental and historic preservation laws and executive orders; and provides environmental and historic preservation technical assistance to FEMA staff, local, State and Federal partners, and grantees and subgrantees.

It is a requirement of all federal preparedness grants that an EHP survey be completed if any new construction, ground disturbance or installation is going to take place on a project utilitizing fedearl grant funds. The survey must be completed and approved prior to the funds being awarded.


Q: What is programmatic monitoring and why have has my agency been chosen to have a visit?

A: Programmatic Monitoring is the process that VEM utilizes to review projects to ensure that they are being programatically completed in accordance with the grant agreement. They are not  Financial Audits. Programmatic Monitoring focuses on FY forward grant years. An annual calendar identifying which communities will be visited is compiled


Q: What does the programmatic monitoring process entail?

A: The process starts with VEM reaching out to a community to schedule the visit. The community will receive a letter to confirm the date/time of the visit, what to expect during the visit and the necessary documentation to be provided prior to the visit. VEM will review all of the grant files and will prepare the necessary documentation for the visit.

VEM will meet with the community, view the grant purchased items, and ask a series of questions regarding the grant process, NIMS, and training or exercising needs.

VEM will prepare a report outlining the visit, strengths and areas for improvement or concern. VEM will send the report to the community for comment and to develop a corrective action plan, if necessary. Once VEM has received comment or corrective action from the community, VEM will follow the community until the corrective actions are complete. Once complete, the monitoring visit will be closed


Q: What is a Property Records List and do I need one?

A: A Property Records List is a list of all items purchased with Homeland Security Funds. This is similar to an Asset List, however the dollar figure per items is less than what is put on an Asset List. Per the Code of Federal Regulations, Asset Lists must contain equipment with a value over $5,000 per item. A Property Records List must contain items with a value of more than $100 per item. An applicant may be required to submit a completed Property Records List when applying for additional equipment. In this case, this list should contain all items being applied for, owned by the department, regardless of funding source. See the individual Request for Application Document for guidance as to whether or not a Property Records List is required to be included with your application.


Q: When do I need an amendment?

A: You may need an amendment if:

  • You have a change to the scope of work to your project.
  • You would like to purchase an item different from those listed in the Attachment A of your grant agreement.
  • You need additional time to complete your project for any reason.
  • You need additional funding to complete the project.

There may be other reason that you need an amendment. If you are unsure whether or not you require an amendment, please contact your Grant Management Specialist and talk to them about what is happening with your project. They will work with you to determine the best course of action within the parameters of your grant agreement.


Q: How are priorities identified and funding allocated to projects?

A: VEM utilizes the following process for priority development and funding:

Contact Information

45 State Drive
Waterbury, VT 05671-1300
(800) 347-0488
(802) 244-8721
(888) 545-7598 (TTY)

Connect with us

Twitter icon
Facebook icon
LinkedIn icon
Google+ icon
YouTube icon
RSS icon